Thursday, October 8, 2009

Reality check!!!

I haven't been here for a long time and my couple last entires were usually about me b****ing about my life, my work and almost everything that consummated my chakra and my sanity. Tonight I've got an unexpected chance to relax and sitting here late at night can't sleep (because my biological clock is topsy turvy) so I figured this is the time for me to do some reality check. But not about me, about the one of thing I love most, broadcasting program!!!!

I'm not ashamed to admit, I'm a freak of reality TV show. But a freak as I am, I choose my reality TV show meticulously. Survivor, yes...Keeping up with the Kardashian, No...So You Think You Can Dance?, yes...The Hills, no...I think you got the picture...I don't watch reality TV that features skanks who all day only wanting to air either their silicon boobs or giant tushy on air. I like to watch, real people in competition...making their ordinary lives to become extraordinary and admitting their strength and mistake on TV to be watched and judged by everyone!! That's the kind of thing I like...so, I'm just gonna do a short list of my 5 favorite reality shows and why I like them so much...

5. American Idol
Reason: First reason: Simon Cowell, Second reason: Simon Cowell. Third reason: Simon Cowell...most of the charm of the show comes from him. You may hate him, you may love him but it's an undeniable fact that he's a master. His word is the law. From his gawky accent right to his metaphorical critiques, he's never came in short. He's there to bring the drama and he delivers it, time after time...another thing worthy to watch in the American Idol...the audition. Platform of the highest ego of the most tone-deaf person you've ever met in your life. Miracles do happen there even if you are rejected. Remember William Hung??? But of course, there's talent there as well. I've been watching American Idol since season 3 and until now some of the contestants are down right magically talented. I still got shivers listening to Fantasia and I've rooted for Chris Daughtry since the very beginning and he's doing well. The latest season is a bit dull for me but still, I'm fine with American Idol over The Simple Life...

4. Cari Menantu
Reason: Actually, the main reason is I will feel a little guilty if I didn't put any Malaysian brands in here. Feels like I'm not 1 Malaysia or something. So I've picked up my personal best choice for the Malaysian reality. But actually, this show does have some strong points. Number 1, it helps those who wanted to get marry with money constrain. Number 2, it injected Islamic content in the show which I think it's great, it makes the contestant sort of 'muhasabah diri' if they are ready to carry the burden of becoming either a wife or a husband. Number 3, it ends up well compared to most of love searching reality show like The Bachelor or I Want to Marry a Millionaire. So in one way, it's a new concept but not tragically too alien to become a total shock to our scenarios and values. There's only one season of the series, perhaps channel 9 are broke sponsoring 3 elaborated weddings of unknown couples so maybe that is why they decided not to continue the show...

3. America's Next Top Model
Reason: because I'm a girl that's why!!!! Other than that, the show actually an eye opener for me. Firstly, the intensity of young girls battling their way to the top for the sake of the competition is a sign that most girls need to be recognize beautiful to feel beautiful. Secondly, it gave me the impression of modeling is not necessarily mean bulimic sticks walking back and fourth to runway, it's more than that. Thirdly, girl loves seeing other girls being b***hy to other girls!!! if you're looking for a cat fight, this is the place to be. Sometimes the girls argued about the simplest thing in life, like whose hogging the phone all the time or whose dishes were not washed...something like that. Couldn't help but giggle at them sometimes. I agree model are not totally dumb...but they are not totally smart either...

2. The Biggest Loser
Reason: If you're looking for the show that truly change someone's life, then this is the show to watch. Compared to any other reality, fame and money is not the ultimate goal, but the transformation or the morphing of themselves is the goal. The show taught me so much about life, struggle and bonus, about health as well. Every time I watch the show on TV or youtube, I can't help but smile in front of the TV, whether when I'm watching it alone or watching it with my family. Whenever the contestant jumped over the cloud celebrating their weight lost, I feel like little by little, they started to move away from the dark cloud that always hover over them because of their low self-esteem towards their physical and emotional image. The show is call The Biggest Loser, but there's only one thing they lost, which is the weight. Their gainings are worth more than any millions in the world. They gained their health, their self worth and their motivation. Wanna see for some real life inspiration? Watch season 3 Australian Biggest Loser contestants, Sean, John and Alison and watch season 4 Australian Biggest Loser contestants, Bob, Tiffany and Sharif. They are the unknown yet for me truly inspiring and alluring.

AND THE NUMBER ONE GOES TO....

1. The Amazing Race
Why The Amazing Race after I'm saying a lot of good stuff about The Biggest Loser? Because there are things in Biggest Loser that tend to make my nerve wreck. First, sometimes the pacing of the series are too lagging and I tend to skip episodes because I just can't wait to see the weigh-in session. Second, the unnecessary drama makes me feels like...come on, this is so corny!! Like switching members, switching weight loss...they don't need that!! Thirdly, the assessment itself. The winner is determine only by the percentage of weight loss. Which mean if someone shed like 80% of his or her weight loss and appear in final like auditioned zombie for the next X-files movie, then he or she would be the winner!!! It's not that fair and quite dangerous too. They should also measure percentage of fat loss, biological age count and others. Then the real result is more conclusive.

Enough about Biggest Loser. Now, why I love the Amazing Race so much? Number 1, the concept of the show itself. It's a race around the world where you can experience many things that you could never attempt to do in real life. They have done it 15 times in US now, still the concept works. Number 2, the unintentional drama, their flights got delayed, the taxi driver is a F1 driver wannabe, someone got lost, someone's car is broken...it gives us an impression no one is really safe in the competition. Today, you're no 1 but bam!!! It's bye-bye birdie the next day!!! Number 3, the locals...it's so much fun to see the local laugh to see the contestant attempting the local's task that seemed to be mundane for the locals but scorching pain for the contestant. Number 4, it promotes tourism and world culture which is a tribute for the road of understanding and humanity. And lastly it's fun to see how people, or the contestant bits by bits shedding their true skin and show their true nature. In the competition, the real test awaited the teams. Will the couple break? Can their friendship survive this? Can the family sticks together? Can they listen to each other? all that will be revealed as they go along the race. Right now is the season 15 of The Amazing Race but I'm watching back to back of the 14th season just to ease my mind. Maybe someday I'll find a worthy partner to join me in The Amazing Race. If I got in the competition, guess what is my choice of challenge??? It will be bungee jumping, I've been dreaming to do that my whole life!!!


So that's my choice...how about u? (although i don't think anyone will be reading this...)

5 comments:

  1. 2morrow i'll check for grammar error. too tired now

    ReplyDelete
  2. kardashian?
    langsung tak pernah dengar.

    "i'm a celebrity! get met out of here" tak tengok?


    oke.oke. aku lebih suka tengok 'so you think you can dance'

    ReplyDelete
  3. mugi...

    1. better you don't know about the Kardashian..
    2. i don't have StarWorld channel la!!! i don't watch I'm a celebrity!!! beside i love reality of ordinary people
    3. Actually So You Think You Can Dance is a highly probable choice. tapi kerana nak meletak malaysian show, so that one kena axed la!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. kadarshian - if u watch it, its a waste of ur time..

    amazing race - one of my favourite too..

    my most favourite one is - project runway

    ReplyDelete