Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Assumptions...

My life has always been a drama. When I did my diploma in Polymer Technology, I always ended up having to explain what is it all about. Now that I'm heading to new direction, most of the time when I've met someone new and saying that I'm doing TESL, I get all sorts of assumption and comments about being a TESL student. Here, let me share a bit of facts about us...

First off, let's start with the wrong assumption...

1. Seriously we don't know everything about English. Have you ever heard the phrase 'the more you know, the more you don't know?' It's true for us. Maybe we are blessed for being 'officially' credited as proficient in the language but believe us, we are not Noam Chomsky or Stephen Krashen or the other 'gods' in language. We do make mistakes now and then. And it really helps us if you understand especially when we help our friends with their assignments or thesis. If you're thinking of asking our help (which is something that some of us love to do), please note the following:
a. Don't beat around the bush, simple is the best. When is too flowery, we get confused.
b. Please don't ask us to paraphrase too much, especially if it's a thesis about scientific things. Our brains are not made for technical stuff.
c. Do check your thesis first before you ask us to check. Sometimes you can check your own minor mistakes. That way, you'll learn bit by bit.

2. TESL is not easy. I get tired of people jeering at me by saying '4 years and all you learn is English?' I know it's just 'English' but reality people, we are actually learn English, we dissecting English. It's like doctor dissecting bodies to learn. We cut the language into pieces and learn bit and bit of it. From the study of meaningless sound (phonetics) to morphology (collection of phonetics) through pragmatic and syntax and linguistic, every puzzle is explored and studied. It changed the way the see and hear conversation. And plus the educational section, sociology, psychology and everything, it is very tiring and hard indeed. But one good thing about it that is a visual subject. Most of us can make the connection of the theories with our life experience and the reality out there. It helps in TESL if you remember a lot of your time as students.

3. We don't speak English all the time. Well at least, my batch. We love to converse in our mother tongue. In fact, my batch always get reprimanded by our lecturers because they often hear us conducting our discussion and argument at TESL square in Malay. Or at least, we code mixing, we often use Malay as our base and add English words in between lines. For us, is the way to relive the way we used to be. We study, write, reflect and argue in English all the time and outside, it's just nice to not speak in the language.

4. We are not westerners wannabe or I am not westerners wannabe. In fact, studying TESL made me realize how much I love being an Asian. With the wonders of cultures and beliefs and our way of life that can simply accept anything as fate instead or westerners who always thinking of 'WHY ON EARTH THIS IS HAPPENING TO ME!!' Being a proud Asian keeps me balance, physically, mentally and spiritually which is an aspect that most westerners lack. Don't believe me, read their literature! They rarely connect god with their life. But us, we live our lives through our values, beliefs and laws. It gives control and rationality.


Now let's go to the right assumption

1. We are crazy about movies, books, songs and culture. We are in debt with the literature subjects, because it makes us see all those things in different light. We love to study the theme, the issue and what makes all those things tick. What makes it irresistible and what makes it not. Most of us don't mind spending our money in all those things because for us, it's a representation of what went wrong in the world and what can be done to fix it.

2. Not all of us want to be teachers. That is very true to the very core. In fact, most of us have no idea what to do after graduation! Some of us (including me) has been shone the light during practicum but for others, the world is still options. Usually, they tend to work in PR or continue Master.

3. We sometimes use the language to our advantage. Sometimes when we are tired or furious of bad services, we use English to attract the attention. Preferably, we use our best English, it invites intimidation to the other party. It works a lot in fast food, cinema, reservation and also government matter. Try it, it's good...

4. We are bunch of thick headed people. Probably because we get commented all the time, we end up having not to care much what others think, it's just a waste of time. But we do mind some things like but not so much. For me it's ok because most of my friends are not the 'jaga tepi kain' type. That's what makes me so comfortable, we do not pass judgment to each other. Isn't it better this way?

So that's it, some things about me and my friends. All I can say about being a TESL student that it's been a bless. I choose to do TESL instead of working in an American firm and trust me, there's not been a day that I've regretted it.

1 comment:

  1. there are some sides we (outsider) never knew about TESL-ian.

    aku suka yang no. 3 yg kedua (right assumption)~
    haha~

    ReplyDelete