Thursday, January 1, 2009

movie review: Bedtime Stories. Warning: spoilers alert!!!

Bedtime Stories tells us a story of Skeeter (played by Adam Sandler) who has his life turn around after he meets with his nephew and niece. After he tells them the some bedtime stories, the stories begins to materialized in his life causing him to lead and determine the course of his life through the outcome of the bedtime stories. Using the children's imagination, he leads them to told the stories that favorable to him but in the end he manages to pass beyond the needs of depending of those children and creates his life according his own 'bedtime stories'. In my opinion, Bedtime Stories is the right story to bring enjoyment to your family as the story line clearly target towards the family entertainment (although some of the comedy has some vigorous language content) but to compare Bedtime Stories to its predecessor; Enchanted, Bedtime Stories fails to captivate the magic as Enchanted did.

First, let's talk about the casting. Sandler as Skeeter neither shines nor fade in his performance but I don't think that it matter much because the audience will put their center on the children performer as well as the pet Bugsy. (I spent 20 minutes in the movie to figure out whether he's real or not). The children are quite a delightful performer but if their characterization can be explored to more feelings and mood, I would be delighted to see how they perform. Because I can see them play the fun part but I cannot determine whether they are able to play other emotions. Seeing Russell to act is always a delight and also Cox but again, I feel their parts are rather being undermine due to the plot reliance towards the children and Sandler. But then again, it doesn't matter much because they are our central focus of the story.

Concerning Disney movies, one thing is absolutely certain, it will contain a happy ending and it does in Bedtime Stories. So if I want to comment on the plot there's only one word to describe it: predictable.

For those who want to watch it, do not feel that the movie is crap because it does not. It is fun to watch and if you want use the movie to relax and laid your head to rest, it is the right movie for you. But if you asked me if I want to watch the movie for the second time as I did when Enchanted is shown, I will say no.

No comments:

Post a Comment